114 Years and Still Smoldering

Some hot spots show up when the snow falls on Coal Ridge.

Today’s newspaper reports from Montcoal, West Virginia.   What does that bring to mind?   Me too.  I grew up in a coal mining town.

The headlines scream “Disaster”.  Why in 2010, when we have updated and improved technology; we have so many experts with solutions, this heart-breaking news?

Today 25 are counted as fatalities down deep in the mine.  Now to bring out the bodies.

The mourning has already begun.

Let me tell you a story, really two stories, about the day all the daddies died in my little hometown:

When the town was organized in 1888 coal, that rock that burns, was king.  By 1893 the Consolidated Mine on Ward’s Peak (today known as Burning Mountain) was in full gear, putting out a high grade bituminous coal.  The company that owned it also opened the Vulcan Mine across the Colorado River, then soon closed it when they found it too dangerous to operate.

The Colorado River, New Castle, Colorado.

A railroad company took the risk of starting up  the Vulcan and proclaiming that it could be managed.

On a cold morning, February 18, 1896, forty nine miners ferried across the deep Colorado River, went to work in the Vulcan, and lost their lives.

At noon that day a  thunderous blast blotted out every other sound in the world.  People rushed out of every house.  They knew where to turn their eyes. Black smoke and coal dust  marked tragedy across the river.

John French had decided that very day that he would not return to the Vulcan because of the smell of methane gas. He claimed he knew that it was about to blow.  He was right.

Townspeople and miners from the Consolidated rushed to the rescue. They reached Ed Welch, battered and dying.  He gasped out that he had been blown from about a quarter mile within the mine.  They raced to the mine entrance to find it blocked by collapsed timbers, and the strong smell of gas.

It took nearly a month before the bodies were brought out.  The whole town was in anguish. Many of the dead were the fathers of large families. One family lost all three sons.  Little boys, known as trappers, were victims too.

End of story?  No.  In 1912, a big fuel company. Started the Vulcan up again.   I don’t use the business names of these big companies because they are still dirty words in New Castle.  They put job-hungry miners in a life-threatening position, then gave only a pittance to their survivors.

The town perked  up with the paychecks from the new mine.  The miners were  paid by the ton, forty five cents.  Mining this thick vein gave the miners the opportunity to dig at least ten tons a day.  An unskilled laborer was earning  a dollar a day, so the risk seemed worthwhile. Many never even considered the risk, it just what a man did to take care of his family.

An air vent was dug  completely through the mountain. A ventilation system consisting of a small  fan that pumped fresh air into the mine and a larger fan that pumped gassy fumes out of the mine.  Water was pumped up from the river and the mine was sprinkled every other day to keep the coal dust down. In retrospect this was not nearly adequate.

Then in December 1912, another cold winter day, another Tuesday, disaster struck again.  Three days earlier the water pipes had frozen, even though they had been wrapped and insulated with hay.  The decision was made to reverse the fans, to keep the area warmer.  The smaller fan was now the exhaust, allowing methane gas to build up.

The miners should have been using the new enclosed-flame carbide lamps, but instead they were issued the outdated “naked” carbide lights for their hats.  A formula for death.

The concussion from the resulting blast killed the miners.  It was the flu season and only 37 miners had reported for work that day.  There are many tales about that day.  One wife was giving birth as her husband died.  One miner who was ill asked a high school boy if he’d like to earn his wages that day, so he skipped school and went to his death.

So much grief for a tiny town.  The day their daddies died.

Today the miners’ names are engraved on a monument in the town park and each July residents and former residents celebrate Burning Mountain Days.

Every coal-mining family extends their sympathy, Montcoal, West Virginia.   And those of us who work at much more cushy jobs bow our heads too.

~ by dottiedoright on April 8, 2010.

4 Responses to “114 Years and Still Smoldering”

  1. Doroothy, I always enjoy your stories. And the pictures this time. Good job. Hugs, Scherry

  2. Thanks so much for providing such great details in the history of my little town.

  3. I found this while searching for images of the Vulcan. I live in Riverbend, two miles from this mine. I love being near it, photographing it, and hoping that it will remain as it is forever.
    Although the other abandoned mines in the area intrigue me as well (I hiked to the caved-in entrance of the B and M mine this morning), the Vulcan is gorgeous in name and structure. Its history is heartbreaking and fascinating. I will always carry the Vulcan, the scarred Hogback, and New Castle with me wherever I go.

    • I’m trying to find any photos of the Vulcan mines and others near New Castle. Let me know if you are aware of any.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: